Recessing windows in a deep or masonry wall

I am struggling with the same thing, with inconsistent results. What I know is gleaned from a VW Help search for "insert door".

In the window or door "settings" menu from either window or door "preferences" before inserting or from the "object info" palette after inserting, there is a tab called "wall detail" that lets you choose the number of exterior or interior wall components. If I set the exterior number to "1" sometimes I can get a window's exterior trim to show as brickmould, i.e., to be set into the brick veneer, but usually I can't, so I have to use polyline in the "solid fill" setting to get it to display that way in top/plan view.

I'd rather not have to use that "workaround" if anybody has any hints.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you enable a number of interior or exterior wall components to wrap, it enables a control point that the wall components (as many as you specified) wrap to. See the image below: windowcpmu4.png

For more information, see the topic "inserting windows" in online help. Note that you DO NOT need to specify a "splay" to get the components to wrap. You should specify a splay only if you have beveled openings.

Thanks, Robert. I saw that in the help menu, but didn't understand what those control points did.

I found that if you have the exterior wall component set to 1 in the wall detail tab of the window or door settings menu, it gives you handles on the trim at the window or door jamb that let you move the wythe over to make a masonry opening. If you set it to 2, the cavity itself is recognized, and it shows the brick turning back at the jambs. You have to zoom in close to the window or door to do it well.