Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Calling for members: Open VectorScript Alliance

Petri

I am about to form an Open VectorScript Alliance. The members would cooperate in reverse-engineering NNA's Hidden Secrets. The Big Fish in our small pond makes it next to impossible for independent developers to work. Undocumented features, strange constructs and the like are the foundation of this monopoly.

Did you know that there are "Hidden Records" in files?

{Begin Hidden Record Format Entries}
NewField('NNAConstant','Family','2',1,0);
SetObjectVariableBoolean(GetObject('NNAConstant'),900,FALSE);
NewField('NNAConstant','Prototype','3',1,0);
NewField('NNAConstant','Version','1',1,0);
NewField('NNAMirror','Family','2',1,0);
SetObjectVariableBoolean(GetObject('NNAMirror'),900,FALSE);
NewField('NNAMirror','Prototype','8',1,0); 

This is about textures.

So far, we can perhaps get this kind of information via exporting a VectorScript, but the Big Brother is watching us and the Firemen are approaching with their flame-throwers.

Refer to http://www.opendesign.com/membership/sustain.htm for NNA's stance on similar issues.

Edited by Petri

I don't think NNA is preventing anyone from creating thier own VectorScripts - the manual is free and available in the help menu.

The VS section of the message board is a great place to collaborate and work together to build scripts and find other tips and tricks.

"Hidden record formats" are hidden because there's no benefit to creating a report from the record format. It's not done for any other reason, as far as you may like to reach for a reason.

I will remind you again that this is a professional message board. The tone and word choice made on various forms lately has been otherwise. Please maintain professionalism when either looking for help or trying to help others. You may find yourself more successful by being less abrasive.

Hey, Katie! Just ban me, I don't care! Before doing that, please count how many sensible and useful answers I have received from NNA staff lately. Would it be nil or less?

Abrasive? Maybe. But you are supposed to be a, what, "Training Program Developer"? Do you have anything to contribute? Can you explain how to create a texture from a data file? What do the Secret NNA Records hold and mean? Can you give ANY answers? Is the berating schoolmistress tone all you can do?

EDIT Can you give us anything?

Edited by Petri

WHOA !

Hold on here ... this is NOT a place for abusive , abrasive relationships, innuendo, or blatant biased criticism. Who made Who God ?

Is Vectorscript perfect ? ... far from it ... is it instructive and helpful ... you bet.

As far as applications go, VW scripting is amazingly accessible... always has been. It there a weirdness factor .. duh

... is there a learning curve ... duh.

What the world really needs is an Open Source Vectorscript compiler module.

Sure would be nice if someone could write one of them for us ; )

Petri,

I am not here to ban you, I'm here to ask you to act professional. Should you continue however, that is the bed you make.

I've been with the company for 6 years and have been monitoring this message board for as long. I've taught VS training sessions and written several scripts while working in Tech Support and Engineering. I've also had to create scripts for numerous online training sessions.

I've worked in the industry even longer. You can look at the posts numbers I've posted to this message board. I've been right there helping alot of the questions posed on this message board.

Cheap shots, rude comments, abrasive tone, and non-professionalism are not ways to get or give information, especially on this message board. There have been several complaints by other users regarding your tone and attitude portrayed here. As an NNA representative, I have the right to point out inappropriate tone and misuse of the message board and take appropriate action.

If you want to create your own third party website to work on ways to build a VS library - you have that right. You also have the right to do the same in the VS section, as a professional.

What you don't have the right to do is disrespect NNA employees or other users on this message board and make blanket falsified statements about the business of NNA.

Edited by Katie

Here are my two cents on the subject.

It is true that some NNA plug-ins have hidden fields but does it really matter to us?

I am using hidden fields also in my plug-ins to hold values that other plug-ins can access without the need to recalculate a variable or to detect which field was changed by the user and take the appropriate action. But in agreement with NNA, the user would not benefit from having access to these fields.

I would agree that some functions are not well documented and I have learned how to use them by trial and error, creating a drawing and exporting as VScript, or by using the debugger.

Many years ago when Mini-Pascal was the language of choice at Diehl Graphsoft, development kept a close pace with Minicad. But over the years the application code as gradually advanced beyond the supported Vectorscript procedures.

I think what our Mr. Petri has recognized is this widening gap and he is calling for an Alliance of Users to help nudge NNA toward updating all aspects of Vectorscript. This is a worthy cause and I for one support it wholeheartedly.

Creation of a UB Xcode based compiler which would include ALL the syntax and dictionaries in one convenient location would be a good first step to resolving these issues.