Find Resource

buzz

Hello

Would appreciate some assistance with this one....

The 'Find Resource' Window does not seem to work for me. I am trying to import a vectorscript into a document. When I enter part of the name in the appropriate section of the 'Find resource' window and then the plug-in folder in which the script is; it does not find the script....

I am using a mac- and can clearly see the vector script in the folder. I have also tried importing the script through: File- Import- VectorScript- and all the objects (VSO / VSMs) in the PlugIn folder are 'greyed out'.

Can anyone enlighten me....

Thanks

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but I think I might.

Plug-ins are not document resources until they are placed in a drawing and turned into a symbol. Plug-ins are really application resources, and are available in any document through the Workspace Editor. Just edit your Workspace and add the plug-in to your Workspace as a tool or a menu command. When you open the the Workspace Editor, if you select the Tools or Menus tab, and then open the "All" folder, the plug-ins will all be there in alphebetical order.

If the plug-in you are looking for is an "Object" Plug-in, you will most likely find it in the Tools tab of the Workspace Editor. Once you have added the tool to your workspace exit the Workspace Editor.

Now open your document, select your tool, and place a copy of your object in the drawing. If you then wish to make it a plug-in object that appears in resources palette for that document you need to make a symbol of the plug-in.

Just select the placed object in your drawing, and chose 'Create Symbol" from the Organize Menu. In the Create Symbol dialog, click the "Options" button and select "Convert to Plug-in Object" if you want the object to convert back to a parametric plug-in when it is placed in the drawing. Name your symbol, exit the dialog and you are done.

Plug-in objects made into symbols like this will appear red in the Resource Browser. When placed in the drawing they will convert back to the plug-in with all the same parameters as if placed from the plug-in tool.

You can now delete the tool from your workspace if you want to. You only need the tool to create the original instance of the plug-in that you make the symbol out of. As long as the Plug-in script remains in you Plug-ins folder, the Plug-in symbol you made will continue to function.

Edited by PeterT

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I have not explained well. I think my problem is in the Resource Browser Palette. I am trying to use a VectorScript which I have been provided with by a third party.

I have placed the .VSO and .VSM file in the plug-in folder within the VW directory. However, when I try to "find resource on disk"; the 'Find Resource' cannot find it. Even though I have "All Resources" selected from the drop down menu- it does not find .VSO or .VSMs.....

Does this help clarify my problem?

Your assistance is appreciated

I think you did explain it well.

You cannot import a .VSO or .VSM file using the "Find Resource" command because plug-ins are not drawing resources that can be imported into a drawing.

.VSO or .VSM files are files accessed by the VectorWorks application using the VectorScript plug-in Editor to edit them, or by the Workspace Editor to add them to your workspace.

If you want to add the script contained in the plug-in file to a specific drawing file you could open the plug-in using the VectorScript Plug-in Editor, copy the text of the script, create a new VectrorScript in the Resource Browser and paste the text of the script into your new VectorScript and save it to a script palette in your file. This of course assumes that the plug-in is not encrypted, and you can open it to copy the text in the first place.

But this is not the way plug-ins are intended to be used, and you might get bad results using it from a script palette.

A .VSM is a VectorScript Menu Command, and a .VSO is a Vectorscript Plug-in Object, and both should be placed in you workspace using the Workspace Editor.

I think your Resource Browser is working fine, you just cannot do what you are trying to do.