Multiple Windows?

Is it possible to create a symbol with multiple (say, double-hung) windows? When I do this the wall texture reads behind the glass when rendered.

(The texture problem arrises when I include a louver, that has a width less than the window, below the windows in the symbol.)

Edited by ErichR

ErichR,

Could you possibly have duplicate walls in place with the symbol insertiing to only one wall? I tried to duplicate your issue several different ways without any problems.

Is your align object orientation correct? Is the symbol you have out of position to its center point? Does the window symbol contain the label text? If so when creating the symbol you need to check its insertion mode through edit symbol

Pete A.

No, there is only one instance of the wall. (I duplicated the problem in a new wall with a newly-created symbol.)

The problem is only created with the inclusion of the louver below the double windows. I suspect the same problem would occur if there is just one window, and a smaller louver below it.

ErichR,

Below I have included a wall with a similar symbol....standard window PIO set up as a twin double hung with glazed sash below. I built the window set to the width of the wall it was being inserted to and the sash is just two solid extrusions (frame and glass) set directly below the PIO window. Once I had the window PIO and the solids stacked properly I made them into a symbol (text included with the PIO). I set the insert to edge and made sure that the symbol reference point was set to the edge of the window. As you can see it worked just fine for me....it must be something else. I know you have more than likely dissected the symbol but there is something overlooked. Maybe you could email the symbol to me in a stripped out mcd file and I could try to put it in one of my walls. I'm on a PC so I don't know how the compatabilities are if you are on a Mac.

WinSym.jpg

panthony@optimumve.com

ErichR,

Yep...got me on that one. Ok...so I had to modify the symbol slightly to compensate for the lack of object under the upper window and beside the lower unit. I inserted a couple of solids and rendered to match the siding surface. Set their "Z" heights within the symbol 3D and...

The symbol with smaller lower unit...

WinSym2.jpg

Now here is the modified symbol with filler under the larger unit.

WinSym3.jpg

You can see the raw symbol behind the wall through the window...

Finished product looks good....

In order to insert images to posts you must have a place to deposit them on the web...I have my own web site (godaddy.com around 10 bucks month) where you can use the UUB Code (Image) to create a link to the image on the web.

Hope this helps

Pete A.

WinSym4.jpg

I have been able to duplicate the problem.

What I have above is a common air handler unit sleeve for under window use in commercial hotels inserted below a single PIO symbol made up as a twin window using the custom sash options to create the double unit. I inserted as a single PIO and the sleeve as a seperate symbol that is adjusted to fit correctly under the window without.

I found that the double PIO made up to a single symbol could pose a problem with the PIO utilizing trim, jamb and sill functions. Without the trim, jamb and sill the window PIO does not insert the same as with the extra stuff. with trim the wall is cut through only to the extent of the jamb and allows the trim and sill to overlap the wall. When you put another object in with that window it produced your problem.

Try inserting the window and louver seperatly and set the "Z" heights in the symbol before insert. Seperate them so they don't touch and make you double window with the custom sash options utilized.

Pete A

I do appreciate the input and effort, panthony.

I assumed that if you had to, you could insert these components separately, but if you have a hundred fifty (or more) to do, it would be nifty (and expected) that you could make one symbol to do the dirty work, or at least to limit it. The key is to use the custom window PIO option and to make it two windows wide. The louver, inserted in its separate wall below the window, can be made to look rrealistic, with some fiddling.

Thanks, Robert, for joining in. The problem seems to have been avoided as per the above.

It only took a few hours to figure out how to do multiple windows. The documentation - is it there? I could not find it. Now that I know, the window tool seems very powerful, but I still feel frustrated that it took so long to do what seemed to be a simple application of a PIO and symbol.

Edited by ErichR