Vectorworks 12 vs ADT

Grigs

My boss wants me to do more 3D work. Right now I use ADT 2006. I'm not sure if it's me or what, but ADT doesn' seem very user friendly. I'm looking for a program that has alot of objects built-in (or easily modified) that I can use in the models. In your experience using Vectorworks, how does it stack up with ADT when designing in 3D?

No comparison. Go with VectorWorks. You can get a 3d model of a simple building done in a day if you first go through a tutorial and have a generalist's knowledge of CAD software.

If you only have experience with AutoCAD, be careful about the frustration factor. VW does everything ACAD does (with a couple of exceptions), but it does some things very differently. You have to basically clear your mind of the AutoCAD way and not expect there to be an equivalent for every ACAD command. A couple of examples: you don't have to press [Enter] everytime you want to bring up a command or tool using a keyboard shortcut, and the selection tool works somewhat differently (no difference between left and right when drawing a marquee, to name one point of difference).

Thanks for the reply. Just abit more info, I'm not someone who is locked into a certain way of doing things. Yes, I have been using AutoCAD since V2.5, so I have had some experience. However, I have tried out other programs. My knowledge of AutoCAD is higher than average (I'm the CAD manager at our Architectural firm).

Based on my experience, learning 3d ADT will take more time and result in less usable output than learning VW.

I've tracked the opposite path - used VW for 15 years, and had to pick up ACAD for production a few years ago. I'm comfortable with AutoCAD, it's a fine program, but for 3d VectorWorks is just more suited to the task. One feature alone makes it invaluable, compared to ACAD and even ArchiCAD - realtime walkthroughs in OpenGL rendering (yes, folks, I know ArchiCAD does it also, but when you get to interiors, you can't use multiple light sources to articulate the forms in ArchiCAD).

BTW, using 3d to it's full capacity takes RAM and processor power. I use a computer with 3.4 gh processor (my 2.0 works okay, too), and 1 g RAM. A video card with sufficient internal memory helps as well.

Also, you should know that you need to get VW Architect + Renderworks to have a basic package that takes advantage of 3d modeling.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...