Diffusion

eyestormer

I design lamps, so I have made a gazillion atempts to create the perfect frosted glass - and failed. Instead I have a collection, that I switch between in order to use the best solution for the job at hand. If it is lighted or backlighted I use a texture with a combination of translucency and transparency - both set rather low. Or a white texture with constant reflectivity combined with a little transparency.

In other cases I use a white texture with finely patterned transparency map. In other again I use the simple glass texture with medium transmission and high roughness setting.

Hope you can find what you need. If you find the ultimate solution, please share it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi eyestormer:

If your object is backlit, try using the Translucency reflectivity shader. Set the texture to not cast shadows. A light will have to be behind the surface for it to light up.

If you are looking through the object, try the Glass, Accurate shader, and Wrapped Rough bump shader together. If the bumps are of a small scale then the bent light rays will fuzz out the objects behind the glass.