More object snaps for 3D walls please

Ken

Question

When stretching or adding a wall peak (Reshape 3D Walls - Add 3D Wall Peak - etc.), there are still very few object snaps. Creating 2D loci is tedious. This has not improved over many versions. One would think that stretching walls in 3D would be basic and common enough if Vectorworks is touted as a model-based CADD.

I wish wall peaks (handles, corners, nodes, whatever they're called) could snap to the intersection of 2D lines, to just a plain line(!), to the underside of roof face in side view, to the sloping edge of other walls, to the edge of a mesh... etc.

I do understand that with the wonderful Smart Cursor technology we can already snap "indirectly" to a lot of points and corners, but please, more object snaps in 3D, particularly for walls!

5 answers to this question

Have you tried the "fit walls to roof" command? You will find it in the AEC menu. It (almost) makes manual reshaping of walls obsolete!

Thanks Peter. I should use that command more often. I often temporarily group assemblies of objects (roofs and walls for example) then go inside the group for better understanding and some editing. The Fit Walls To Roof command is buggy when used inside a group.

You can get more 3D snaps by turning on Snap to Edge Points by double clicking on the Snap to Object constraint.

Katie, I have read that part of the manual, too. I'm afraid we're talking about different things again.

Actually, the command works fine with other objects on the same layer. The trouble is when those objects are grouped -- the command doesn't seem to work too well inside the group. Temporary grouping, I'd admit, is my personal habit, which I would almost recommend as an editing strategy, for better control of what to select and what to edit. With so many tools, commands and scripts NOT working inside a group, it gets frustrating.