Wall Insertion Point

Tom K

I want to use the wall styles tools with actual material finishes shown. Something that they have not done in this office before. I have a stud wall on a grid line, as the wall continuous along the material finishes change from block, to wood siding, to gymsum. In order to do this I now have three different wall types. The thing is that I always want the control point for the wall to be the centre of the stud, not the centre of total wall thickness. I know that I can insert the wall with a control point offset, however when want to manipulate the wall later the control point is now the centre of the wall again.

I would like to know how other people deal with this.

Thanks.

Tom, I'm a little puzzled. . .just where is the center of stud in a block wall? You can use the "edge" of a wall cavity as a control point. Another alternative (the one we use) is to have a separate layer "Guidelines" where the spaces/rooms are simply laid out as geometric shapes, such as rectangles. This Guidelines layer is below the floor plan layer in stacking order. When walls are moved, we first make the change on the Guidelines layer and then adjust the walls to the new snap-points. The only caveat is that you must choose a point that the guide shapes come to: exterior/interior face of wall, face of framing, center-line, whatever. And then be consistent.

Good luck,