Extrude along path & loft with rail issues

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

When extruding along path - or lofting with rail - the profile automatically rotates, so it is oriented perpendicular to the path. For most purposes this is good. Sometimes, however, I want the profiles orientation to remain the way I place it prior to exterusion (or lofting) - all through the final extruded shape. I want this, because it is the ONLY way, I can generate certain shapes.

So I wish, there was an option within the extrude along path dialogue, where I can disable the automatic re-orientation of the profile shape - if the profile shape is indeed a 3D nurbs curve.

This is hard to explain in a way, that evokes exitement. But it is actually really, really important, so I hope you pay attention at NNA :-)

1 answer to this question

One way to defeat the rotation is to break the path into 'flat' segments then extrude each segment individually. Then assemble the various parts into the whole. I had this issue with a curved & sloped wall... the profile would rotate 180? ! Breaking the Path curve into segments solved the problem.