Working planes

For an assignment I'm designing a 2 story house.

I have a set of layers for the first story and a set of layers for the second story. I'm am short of time and need to find out a way of somehow saving the working plane level for the layers I need, or saving the working plane level to something so I can easily switch between them.

I'm sure there is some way to doing this - do you know?

Open the Working Planes Palette.

Use Set Working Plane tool to ddfine the working plane.

On Working Plane Palette, click add, name the working plane you created in the earlier step.

You should have Ground Plane and your new working plane in the palette. Double click on a listed working plane to activate it. They will be saved within the document.

From the VW Help File:

"The Working Planes palette displays working plane positions that have been set while working on a drawing. From this palette, switch between working plane positions, name and save working plane positions, and select a working plane display mode. By combining these features with the Set Working Plane tool and the Align Plane tool, VectorWorks accurately controls the placement and alignment of objects in 3D space."

I would suggest that new users check the VW Help file before posting here. It's often much faster than waiting for another user to read & reply.

George

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Dan, it sounds a little like your inquiry about 'working planes' is a bit of a red herring. I say this because generally, working planes per se are used only for rather advanced 3D design; they are not required for architectural design (as you apparently are doing). Each layer has a "ground plane" that is defined by its "Z" property. When a layer is active, its ground plane is set to 0. You can look at all layers in relative space by turning on "Stack Layers" or creating a layer link to the layers of interest in a new layer. This sounds like a training issue.