beginner worksheet question

Hi All,

I just started using the worksheet option in VW 12. I've got a small beginners question blush.gif : I want VW to calculate a number of symbols. When I place these symbols on my desing layer everything is ok, the worksheet perfectly calculates the number of symbols. But when I place these symbols in a bigger symbol (symbol in symbol), the calculation on the worksheet jumps to 0.

Is there a way for the worksheet to just calculate the small symbols in the bigger symbol? confused.gif

regards

Paul.

If a single smaller Symbol-1 is nested within the container of a bigger Symbol-2 then logically a count of the bigger will also result in a count of the smaller. However, when there's more than one Symbol-1 within the Symbol-2 an InSymbol count is required.

The syntax for counting a nested Symbol-1:

=DATABASE(INSYMBOL & (S='Symbol-1'))

Hi Paul, Islandmon's solution should work fine.

Also when you create your report, you should be able to select the option to search inside of the symbols to find the records. If you look at the bottom of the Create Report screen, there is a small options button. From there you can select 'Search In Symbols'.

This should work for you.