Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

DoMenuText By Name(Edit Group,?)

Can I enter a group (Edit Group) in a VectorScript?

I tried this, passing 0,1,2,3 or 4 as the Menu Chunk Index but I get a VectorScript Error "Can't find Menu".

What am I doing wrong? There is no description anywhere in any documentation regarding what index to use for what type of chunk. It could take me a while to test every number between 1 and n.

Is there an easy way to figure the correct index value so I could at least determine if that is the problem or if the problem lies elsewhere?

Thanks,

Peter (Novice VectorScripter)

Procedure editgr;

begin

{ Edit Group }

DoMenuTextByName('Group Navigation Chunk', 1);

end;

run(editgr);

There is a table in the appendix of the VectorScript Function Reference that lists menu commands, menu chunks, and the corresponding selectors to be used when calling DoMenuTextByName( ).

file:///Applications/VectorWorks%2011/VWHelp/VectorScript%20Reference/VSFunctionReference.html

Click "Additional Resources", then click "VectorScript Appendix" then go to appendix H.

The selector 'Group Navigation Chunk' should be passed as first argument and index 1 for second argument.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much. Now I know what the word "Selector" means. It is not easy getting started in VectorScript.

The function reference says the procedure uses the "VectorWorks internal menu Item name" when referring the menu command, then says to refer to the Vectorworks Appendix for a table listing DoMenuTextByName "Values".

I guess I am to take it that "Selector", "Value", and "Internal menu item name" are all synonymous.

I probably should have figured this out when I went to the Appendix, but I didn't get it. Some consistency in nomenclature between the function reference and the appendix could go a long way for a beginner like me.

It is nice to have a message board like this to get answers to the gaps in my limited knowledge of VectorScript.

Thanks Again,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

One more question on this thread.

If I enter a group during a script using "DoMenuTextByName('Group Navigation Chunk', 1);", once inside the group, would any additional calls affect only the objects within the group or would they affect objects outside of the group?

For example, would "SelectAll;" select only objects within the group, or when the group is exited, would all the other objects on the layer(s) be selected?

As I do when drafting in VectorWorks, I intend to group certain objects to isolate them, then enter the group so that I can perform operations on just those objects. I would then exit the group and ungroup the objects.

Thanks,

Peter