Floors

Adin

Question

I wish we had the ability to create floors from a TOP Z instead of (or as well as if people really like it in its current form) a BOTTOM Z.

In architecture we specify floor levels meaning the top, whether it be a structural slab level or a finished floor level: So the ability to draw this way would make VW consistent with real world floors.

2 answers to this question

I too think that would be much more sensible as it would be much more intuitive in use. It would also be consistant with the Model Setup dialog in Architect, which actually works this way.

In addition I would also say that the top surface should be anchored so that altering the floor thickness through the OIP alters the bottom surfaces Z and leaves the top surfaces Z set where it was.

Even better would be having the dialog box (and OIP) graphicaly showing the Floor Thickness along with the Top Z and Bottom Z, with the option of choosing which to constrain (or lock), and where altering one of the values will automatically update the other two (a bit like what happens with the roof dialog box). Also being able to choose a 2D floor construction representation so that the floor would then draw correctly in live 3D sections.

The latter would extend on the philosophy of the Francesco Bellazecca 2D floor system plug in available from VectorDepot - It would need to contain options such as concrete slab, timber joist, steel joist, timber trusses, steel trusses etc. with options for the top floor elements and bottom ceiling elements.

I know I ask a lot, but I am looking forward to what we the user's will actually want when live 3D sections are implemented - I am assuming that this is on the agenda for the future.