System Restore

michael john williams

Question

Vectorworks is not fully compatible with Windows XP. Have you ever done a System Restore? Well if you do beware because you lose all your VW files! Surely this has got to be fixed otherwise you can never do a system restore. The only way round it is to store the files in My Documents but I donot want to do that as it places them apart from the rest of the project files.

8 answers to this question

Yet to have to do a system restore, so thanks for the warning.

Just a suggestion. Can you not put all the project files in a folder in My Documents.

I keep all my work files in a work folder within My Documents, although I think to be correct my hard drive is partitioned into two, so I should save them to the drive not containing my operating system so there is no chance they are lost on system restore.

Once a job is complete I back it up to disk and delete it from the computer anyway.

Hope you have not lost too much Michael.

Alan

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by michael john williams:

Vectorworks is not fully compatible with Windows XP. Have you ever done a System Restore? Well if you do beware because you lose all your VW files! Surely this has got to be fixed otherwise you can never do a system restore. The only way round it is to store the files in My Documents but I donot want to do that as it places them apart from the rest of the project files.

From the sound of it, this has nothing to do with VectorWorks itself. Apparently System Restore is wiping out whatever directory you're storing your files in. However, the proper place to store user files (including VectorWorks files) is My Documents. If you want to separate certain classes of files, make folders within the My Documents folder and place the files you want to keep distinct into separate folders.

System Restore periodically creates Restore Points automacially. You can also do this manually - I usually do it before installing new software. The beauty of this tool is that it can be Reversed! If you lose anything after a restore, it can be undone.

If you check the restore program, you'll see a calender showing Restore Points that have been created either by Windows (auto) or manually.

I have used this feature and have never lost any data from the My Docs Folder.

This is from the Windows Help File:

"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder."

The Help File has more info.

George