GEOMETRIC DEPENDENCY

mike m oz

Question

Geometric dependency like BOA's would be another nice feature to add to VectorWorks.

It looks and sounds really neat and would make modelling much simpler.

Particularly if it could also be implemented in elements like doors and windows so that as the size of the opening is changed the number of doors or window lites woukd update according to preset rules.

2 answers to this question

This feature is already in VW: parametric objects can be written in such a manner. I have at least a dozen or so: windows, glazed walls, balustrades, beams, parking spaces and so on.

For some reason, the NNA Integrated Products team seems to come from the Drafting school of CAD and assumes that when you place an item in the model, you already know exactly how long, wide, tall etc. it should be and are willing to make adjustments numerically.

Not that my home-brewed stuff would be ideal, far from it, because they have always been created in a hurry just to get a job done, but I rarely use NNA's PIOs.

Comment 1:

Why don't NNA implement it in their PIO's then.

For example If it was an option in the Window Wall PIO the PIO might actually become useful.

Comment 2:

BOA's geometric dependency is much more than equally spacing out an element within an object (like mullions). it is like an extension of the Parametric Constraints which which adds intelligence. For example

- it will adjust window spacings in a wall.

- it will provide additional elements once a predetermined threshold is reached.

What i am asking for is more intelligence so that the modelling becomes more intuitive.