User Field displayed on Equipment Item

Is there a way to have a user field default to be displayed when creating an Equipment Item from a device?

For instance, I am using User1 for IP Addresses on both the Device and the Equipment Item. I would like to have that address shown on the face of the equipment in the rack.  I can go into the Equipment Item, and make the text pull the data from the user field, but I have to do it for every piece of equipment.  and that is really tedious, especially now that it is all done in 3D.  

It would be nice to be able to map that to a location, like the Name, Make and Model already are.

It would be REALLY nice, if it was able to be linked to the device information.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @t-bud,

You can set up an equip item symbol with the linked texts set up as you wish. Then you can use this symbol to create new equipment items either by drag&drop from the resource manager or by double clicking on the symbol and placing it with the equipment item tool. That way you will have your linked texts set up only once fro this symbol.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
18 hours ago, t-bud said:

Is there a way to make this work when creating Equipment from a schematic Device? Or do I have to drop them separately, and match the name to the Device?

After you double click in the symbol in the resource manager it will be used by the equipment item tool and the Create Equipment menu command.