what worksheet function returns the length of a steel profile?

Hi,

for a partlist I created a record -> worksheet that lists dimensions for extrudes by =LENGTH, =WIDTH and =HEIGHT perfectly. For =OBJECTTYPENAME Channel - 3D there is value 0 (zero) with this function.
I tried to find a function reference and tested =OBJECTDATA(SEL; 'cover physical length') but the result is #OPCODE?.

The length value I want to list in the worksheet (or spreadsheet?) is the one in the Object Info - Shape window of the Detailing -> Channel - 3D object. This length value is not part of the record. I just want to avoid to add the length manually to the record...

What did I wrong?

Is there an easy way?

Thanks for help!

Peter

VW2022 SP3.

The length is stored in the Channel record.  

='Channel - 3D'.'Length'

The default Length, Width, Height worksheet functions will give you the orthogonal distances.  Length is the X dimension, Width is Y and Height is Z.  They will report on almost any object, but if the object is not aligned with the axis, it probably won't provide useful data.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks! That works for Length.

I thought that this will work for Size and Series as well but it doesn't. What's going on?

is there a reference for such topics - for rainy weekends?

Peter

Edited by Another user
Size & Series added

='Channel - 3D'.'__size_1'

='Channel - 3D'.'__size_1'

='Channel - 3D'.'__series_1'

The field names might be different if you switch to a different Series.

Easiest way to find things like this is to make a dummy report in a worksheet and add all the fields in. Find the columns that have the data you are looking for and then look in the header row for the field name.

Thanks a lot! You're a mastermind - really!

I never came through the idea to choose the basic criteria (of e.g. Channel - 3D) for a dummy report...

But it makes sense. Even the result looks strange...

This dummy-worksheet lists both types of Series: AISC (inch) and DIN (Taperd Flange) although the profiles I used are all DIN.

For Size it's more confusing - 8 sizes are listed:

'__size_8' is the one I used (U60) but for example '__size_6' gives 150 x 75 x 18 what is completely wrong.

That looks more than a try-and-error-thing (at least for me).

At the end I'll find out what is necessary - even it consumes more time than expected - so what's wrong (if any)?

one last (???) question:

I have different parts of the construction and the record formats are all the same - just with different names (Rack, Frame, Box etc).

I made one worksheet for one part of the construction with all the fields the manufacturer needs to know.

For example - in the worksheet the formula ='Rack'.'Part' gives the result for all other columns too.

Copying the worksheet and change the formula to ='Frame'.'Part' gives no result at all.

So I guess there is more 'content' in the worksheet that I can't see, right?

cu 😉

Peter

For the first question, there are a number of items in the Channel Parameter Record that we have no idea of HOW they are being used internally in the object. I think it is to save the data so when you switch from one type to another it is already populated correctly. 

And yes, it is just kind of trial and error to figure out which field has the data you need.

I don't understand the last question. Can you post a small test file with a couple of objects with your different record formats and the spreadsheet that is not doing what you want and I can take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

sorry for the late answer.

Here's a file created with VW2012 - that worksheets behave different than in the office..

Unfortunately neither column F nor J calculates correct - legacy issue?

ok - here we go

Column I lists the weight of steel.

Column J shall calculate the volume of the several parts

Column G shall calculate the weight of every part - and summarize in row 2

Column H, K and L - please ignore (just tests).

Experienced to have the Length of the parts in different column (for 3D-channel and Extrudes) I have another column with IF((H2=0),J2,H2) to have all length values in a common column. There are more columns to calculate other things - so it's a bit more content at the end.

So let's say I created the Box-worksheet working correctly - is it possible just to copy this worksheet, make some settings (where and how...) -  in order to calculate the values of the parts in class "Rack" - in opposite to create the Rack-worksheet again from scratch?

Inbetween I did it from scratch but  keep curious if this can be done a 'smarter' way, y'know?

Thanks,

Peter

test.vwx

I don't have a way to test in VW2012, so all my tests are in VW2024.  Worksheets have been greatly enhanced since 2012 so it is likely that things for you are different.

A lot of your problems stem from trying to have different objects types work in a single database in the worksheet

For Column G, you can't specify an extra criteria to the Volume function. The criteria passed to the function is the criteria that is used for the database.

So change the formula to just =Volume() and you will get your value for each object, not just the extrudes

For the Length, the Channel - 3D objects don't respond to the Length function properly, for that you have to use the 'Channel - 3D'.'Length" field value.  You can put both versions in a single column using an IF function.

=IF(OBJECTTYPENAME='Channel - 3D', 'Channel - 3D'.Length, LENGTH)

If you end up using more object types, then you could use nested IFs, but it can get complicated pretty quickly.

Another option would be to use separate databases for the different object types. Each would use the proper functions for the object type. Hide the database header row and they would all look like a single table, but you would not be able to "interleave" them in a sort.

To change to Rack Parts, you would need to right click on the database header row and Edit Criteria and change to the Rack Parts Record is Present. You would also need to change the formula in column A to show 'Rack Pars'.'Name" instead of Box Parts.

HTH

• Like 1