Editing a lighting symbol

I seem to spend a lot of time asking pretty simple questions that I just can't figure out from the help menus. Here's another one, I want the fixture to look like this when its on a truss in a 2D view.

Screenshot2024-04-18at14_37_47.thumb.png.2f1e9bb2cba1f1226269a19478d79ac6.png

How can I make that happen?

Thanks,

Iain

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Iainy1961You will have to go into the Edit 2D Component of the symbol and redraw the 2D geometry in order to get the look you desire. To do this follow these steps:

-To access edit window, right click on the symbol in the RM and choose Edit 2D Component to enter the 2D Top/Plan geometry.

-Delete the current 2D geometry.

-Redraw your desired geometry and assign classes as appropriate.

A good trick to draw this view can be achieved using the cardinal direction 2D geometry that is used for Architect symbols but not supported for Spotlight. To do this trick do the following:

-Right click on the symbol in the RM and choose Edit 3D Component to enter the 3D Top/Plan geometry.

-In the Component Edit Palette choose Front from the Edit Dropdown.

-With nothing selected, right click in empty space and choose the Generate 2D from 3D Component command, and choose Hidden Line.

-The program will draw the view in 2D in a group.

-Copy or Cmd/Ctrl X to get the geometry on your clipboard.

-Return to the 2D Component and paste the group into the 2D, from there edit the line work as you see fit, sometimes the curves can be created as lots of tiny facets so you may want to clean up that line work. 

• Like 1

@JustinVH I'm sorry I don't understand that at all. 'Left it in front 2D view' When I edited it, or when I saved it.....or something else. 

Also, it's not at all what I'm looking for. It has always annoyed me that the fixture is either hidden under the truss or on top of it, which leads to much confusion for me and others being handed a plot like that.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated. 

@JustinVH  I'm sorry to come back to you on this, but I get so faar and then it goes sideways. I am clear up to the point when you say '

On 4/18/2024 at 3:08 PM, JustinVH said:

Copy or Cmd/Ctrl X to get the geometry on your clipboard.

-Return to the 2D Component and paste the group into the 2D, from there edit the line work as you see fit, sometimes the curves can be created as lots of tiny facets so you may want to clean up that line work. 

Screenshot2024-04-26at17_24_04.thumb.png.8f2f39f16152f464d11e6a937e09d059.png

How do I get back to the 2D side of things?

Thank you,

Iain

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 17.24.22.png