Fine Tuning Section Markers on Sheets

Hi Team! New poster, longtime lurker.

I've primarily been a 2D VW user (beginning in 2019) and have since worked mostly in V2022 and, most recently, finally caved and gone with V2024 as I'm diving a bit more into modeling - I'm also looking forward to the auto-coordination between markers, sheets, and viewports you get rather than manually managing all of that as you draw.

With that backstory, I've really been wrestling with making section markers on my drawings *feel* right. I come from a scenic design background and currently work in film and TV - so we have a fairly specific way of laying down section markers. I've been able to get the actual section bubbles to the right place in terms of size and typography - but their alignment and interaction with other markers is where I'm stumped.

Apologies if this is a rehash of an older topic - I've done my best to dig through old posts and scrape the internet for answers - not to mention some significant banging of my head against the proverbial wall. It seems like most folks just use a more "architectural" approach to section markers and keep it one bubble per line.

So - to the meat - image 1 is how I normally like to (manually) layout my section markers in a 2D file. Image 2 is as good as I've been able to get using the automagic section markers in 2024. I'd love to find a way to make the "automated" markers perform a bit more like my manual layout - and without so much additional fine tuning after to try a maneuver the symbol bubble position, line length, and jogs to feel correct.

Anyone else running into this issue or found a workaround?

IMAGE 1.jpeg

IMAGE _2.jpeg

You can make a Section-Elevation Line that looks like that but it will only be linked to one Viewport so will display the same drawing number in both markers:

Screenshot2024-03-28at20_10_38.png.4c35fcfed6c7ce1f52ac1e0cdb7a7fd3.png

To have it auto-coordinate you would need to have two separate Section-Elevation Lines drawn on top of each other:

Screenshot2024-03-28at20_09_35.png.1ab89d03dba7d630644fe921b31138be.png

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

@Tom W.

Ho Tom! Thanks for the reply!

I think I could absolutely live with layering the two section markers - I'm just having a hard time getting VW to let me create that short right angle bend that attaches directly to the side of the marker bubble you're showing and not the wild dogleg that runs into the directional arrow I'm having to make.

Is that something you're configuring in the Resource Manager default you've created or am I just missing a submenu somewhere to adjust that interaction?

Edited by Kevin Lee
13 minutes ago, Kevin Lee said:

@Tom W.

Ho Tom! Thanks for the reply!

I think I could absolutely live with layering the two section markers - I'm just having a hard time getting VW to let me create that short right angle bend that attaches directly to the side of the marker bubble you're showing and not the wild dogleg that runs into the directional arrow I'm having to make.

Is that something you're configuring in the Resource Manager default you've created or am I just missing a submenu somewhere to adjust that interaction?

No probs. This is what my Marker Layout looks like. Note the Marker Layout Constraints settings:

Screenshot2024-04-01at20_21_55.thumb.png.937b92c53f5203c8695df0e99310adc0.png

The long dashed double dotted line you can set by class (specify the class in the Plug-in Object Style Options which are accessed by right-clicking on the style in the Resource Manager).

Screenshot2024-04-01at20_21_16.thumb.png.155f46585048a861e983417fa244b920.png

Take one of the existing VW marker styles + duplicate it in the RM + edit it to look the way you want: Edit Plug-in Style > Edit Marker Layout...

• Like 3