moving scenery setup.

grantvz

Not really a lighting question but definitely theater oriented. I'm setting up a multiscene, moving scenery file. To accomodate a revolving scenic unit, I've duplicated the scenic element and placed each on in a class to denote it's scene position. The trouble is when I have to update that scenic unit, I'm faced with the task of reinserting the changes into each class. Sounds like hell to me. Wondering if anyone has a better solution.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can place the rotating set on its own layer and create a layer link and rotate the layer link. Another option is to create a symbol of the rotating set pieces. Then place the rotated symbol in different classes or layers. You can then use the saved sheets to easily navagate to the different rotations of the set.

quote:

Originally posted by grantvz:
To accomodate a revolving scenic unit, I've duplicated the scenic element and placed each on in a class to denote it's scene position. ... Sounds like hell to me. Wondering if anyone has a better solution.

Both of Kevin's solutions are dead on. I think I would recommend using the symbol approach over using the layer links. The symbol allows you to have hybrid geometry more easily than the layer link and I think the symbol will be a little faster and easier to work with overall.

Even when I'm just working with a static set with no moving pieces I'll often drop the whole thing into a symbol so that I can have seperate 2-d and 3-d geometry. I'll get a nice plan view drawing of the scene in top/plan view and I'll add in the necessary 3-d Info for my section work and for checking coverages etc.

HTH