Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Records

Hey,

I'm very new to marionette and have made my first Marionette Object / Symbol/Plug-In object.

The marionette inserts two symbols and has a handle for adjusting one of the symbol positions in the Z axis.

This symbol was and is to replace a scaffolding part, and in the future, I want marionettes for several objects and replace the "original" symbol with the marionette object.

Scaffolding parts have a record name "Scaffold Record" attached, while I'm able to attach this record to the symbols I insert, I cannot see the record at any point.

Is it possible to have a record or more attached to a Marionette object and have it show in the resource manager, and when I select the object in a drawing?

image.png.7e5b53a8b8c3d2e7162822898a1ee0a3.png

image.png.cfe04ff9e9817cffc381d075a216ae2e.png

• Marionette Maven

Hi Stefan!

I'm attaching a simple file that I hope may help, but I also may be misunderstanding your question since you haven't provided a file to work from.

Please let me know if this helps, or if I need to go in a different direction.

In this file, there is a circle Marionette Object that attaches the record within the network to the circle using the Marionette Object node (which returns the handle to the Marionette object)
Creating a symbol of this Marionette Object creates a Marionette Object Style (which can be found in the folder of the same name within the Resource Manager.
The resource shows the attached record in the RM window.

image.png

MarionetteCircleSymWithRecord.vwx

Hello Marissa,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for not attaching a file. I thought I would explain myself well enough. While I see your script working, I cannot make the same script work on my symbol. Does it have anything to do with my red text symbol and yours being white/black?

I'm able to attach the record so it is visible in the OIP when I select the placed symbol, but it is not visible in the RM window when the symbol is selected.

I also register that you used marionette to attach the record, but it actually is possible to attach the record the normal way but this is not possible for my symbol.

image.png.8e425f776d5c851e2d6ba144cff1cfed.png image.png.af17aad0cb9b6ecdc2cc900f183ee6b7.png

image.thumb.png.0d6cbcc404b05336d81c1319810a4115.png

marionette-record.vwx

On 3/5/2024 at 12:10 PM, Stefan B. said:

Scaffolding parts have a record name "Scaffold Record" attached, while I'm able to attach this record to the symbols I insert, I cannot see the record at any point.

Attaching the record formats to the symbols inside the Marionette Object will make it impossible to see in the OIP, unless you create a new record format that is only attached to the Marionette Object (see Marissa's reply) and shows the values from the fields of the record formats attached to the symbols, but also writes back changes you made in the OIP.

An alternative could be to use a worksheet to read and write these otherwise hidden record formats.

• Marionette Maven
On 3/6/2024 at 4:42 AM, Stefan B. said:

Does it have anything to do with my red text symbol and yours being white/black?

This shouldn't matter, my first test was with a black symbol that I later converted to red.
I'll make a note to look into this in a bit.