Importing a site model into Unreal Engine 5

DuncanEGA

Question

Hi there, 

I've been exporting my 3d models from VW (ie. building walls, retaining walls, pools, etc) to Unreal Engine 5 via the unreal datasmith export. This allows me to play around with the meshes in UE5 and create nice models.

As I deal a lot with landscapes and surveys, I was wondering if it was possible to import survey data into UE5 to be able to sculpt, paint and place my buildings, retaining, pools, etc onto the actual site model i've created in VW.

In Unreal, you can create a landscape that you can sculpt heights and paint various materials like grass, gravel, mulch. I don't think you can do this with the .obj or datasmith's that are imported from VW (?). But you might be able to import a 'heightmap' from survey data somehow that will allow you to sculpt a bit more.

I've tried exporting my 3d site model from VW as an image file PNG as I've seen on other forums, but it comes up with some weird inverted landscape.

Any ideas on how or whether it's even possible for VW?

Thanks,
Duncan.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet