Data tags and referenced files

happy holidays! 

so i am planning on referencing vectorworks files to a "PRIMARY" file 

so on file "A" I would design the building and site 

and on the "PRIMARY" I would document everything 

I use the viewport to reference file "A" 

however on "PRIMARY" I want to use data tags to mark all the doors and windows and reference them to the schedules.. so far only doors show up on the schedules

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to data tag on referenced files?

my reasoning is that my PDFs have been way too large lately and I'm hoping splitting the files will reduce the size

also how do you guys set up your files? currently i use one file and have all my walls / tags / symbols on it so i can document faster

• Like 1

I'm using VW 2024 and it currently doesn't have the ability to add Data Tags on referenced files. I'm experimenting with a very similar setup that you have, with a "Primary" VWX main file referencing in VWX files "A" and "B." And I was hoping it would tag the walls, windows, and doors of the referenced files by just using the Data Tag tool in a section/elevation viewport. I've tried both ways of referencing via Reference Settings between "Design layer viewports" and "Layer import" but unfortunately it doesn't behave that way. 

Apparently this is because "all objects in referenced layers are deleted and recreated again when updating a reference" (refer to quoted forum post below): 

On 1/28/2020 at 4:04 AM, Christiaan said:

Apparently we're unable to tag walls in Workgroup Referenced files with the new Data Tag tool. I'm pretty sure a loss of functionality as I believe we used to be able to do this with the old ID Label tool.

We'd need this functionality please.

And my preferred way to bring this functionality back would be to get rid of Workgroup Referencing and replace it with something else:

A strange workaround is adding the Data Tags in file "A" and "B" itself by creating a section viewport > editing that viewport and going into "Section In-Place" > then adding the Data Tags there. Although the tag will now show in file "Primary," it would no longer scale because it's tied to files "A" or "B."