Data Tag Constraints

ryan019

Question

I am trying to create data tag to label speaker symbols in my drawing. However, I'm struggling to find the correct combination of constraint settings to prevent the text from falling outside the white box. The file includes data with various naming conventions that come up in my drawings that create the different sized tags. I have noticed that the issue is only on my right aligned tags. 

On the right aligned tags, I would like the purposes (top line of text) to be left left aligned to the left side of the white space, while the make/model (bottom text) is right aligned to the right side of the white space (like in the attached screenshot, where I have found that the desired effect is achieved only when the purpose label is longer than the make/model).

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.30.26 AM.png

data tags.vwx

1 answer to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @ryan019,

Having different alignments in the constrained layout is a bit tricky. There are some improvements to this coming in the VW2024 updates that might help with this. Anyway, here is a file that gets this done in VW 2023. I have just added both Left and Right for the make/model text in the left aligned tag. Then I have taken this tag, made it use a leader but made the leader with length 0, which basically removes it and then made the tag left positioned with mirror elements selected and this gave me the right aligned tag. The only problem that I saw here is that when the data tag is moved the leader gets resized and you have to hide it again.

Let me know if this gets the job done.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

data tags - left mirrored.vwx