Plant library - please can I check I am doing the right thing?

I'm still new to Vectorworks as a landscape designer. I believe there aren't any extensive plant libraries available already in the programme or available online (I think that's right?), so instead I'm making my own. 

To do this, I have:

1. Saved a file called Plant Library and Favourited this in the Resource Manager so it appears in every document 
  2. Started creating 2D plants for now, simple coloured circles and saving them as Plant Styles from selection, changing the data for each, which makes sense. Usually I copy and paste and plant, then create a Plant Style from it. 

In the future I'm planning to make and attach 3D models to each of the 2D plants, but that's a big project. 

If I want to display an initial on each of the plants in a site plan, E.g. Ger for Geranium or something more specific, would I just type 'Ger' as the plant tag/ID and then somehow select all plants to show Tag centred on the plant components? 

Does that all sound like I am doing the right set up? I thought I'd check before I go too far. Thank you.