Control File Size in ConnectCAD prject

Hi colleagues,

I have the problem, that my ConnectCAD Project files are blowing up massively. Right now I am in the 400MB area. The exported PDF as about 4 MB.

Generally the file has a lot of pages, around 100, therefore it has about 100 titleblocks. All contain a logo.

I have tried to reference the logo as opposed to save it directly into the file. This doesn't seem to make a difference.

It is a ConnectCAD project, so no 3D rendering or isometric viewport views. Only 2D Planviews

Also does the Number of Undos have an impact?

Do you guys have any idea what I could do to downsize my file?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Peter Z,

It is very likely that the logo in the TBB is taking a big amount of space as it appears twice for each TBB that you have. Luckily there is a way to handle this. Simply create a symbol of the logo and then place the symbol in the TBB instead of the logo. This should reduce the file size a lot if the image is used a lot as symbols are more optimal than images.

Let me know if that help and if it helps how much did it reduce the file size.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

Thanks Nikolay,

that makes sense, I will try that.

Can you give any estimate for an average file size in ConnectCAD projects? Am I way off with 400MB or is that common?

I have not processed that many user files to give you such an estimate, but I personally think that anything above 100 MB is a bigger project. Anyway, I have seen 1 GB projects so as long as it works fine for you it should not be a problem to have bigger files.