Sign in to follow this  
kla_anders

hidden line view

Question

would love to see a hidden line view that was purely the edge lines and not all the mesh and triangulation of solids.

I do have renderworks and use it frequently but there are times when it makes more sense to view just as line work.

eg. when you don't want to lose objects b/c of over or under lighting.

also- copy to lines/polygons as hidden line also triangulates fills and takes a great deal of memory & increases the file size immensely.

7 answers to this question

I agree 100%. I have to export everything to Cinema 4D in order to come close to acheiving these results.

I only have the light version of C4D so the resolution is for poopoo. But it's good enough for web stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by kla_anders:
would love to see a hidden line view that was purely the edge lines and not all the mesh and triangulation of solids.

Have you checked out the smoothing angle preference? It was a late addition and hasn't gotten a control in the preferences dialog yet, but there's a plug-in at http://www.vectordepot.com that allows you to set it. What it does is it removes lines between faces of objects that are within the user-specified angle.

Andrew,

I was being stupid for a while but I got it.

Thanks a bunch

M

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: Marc ]

quote:

Originally posted by Marc:
Andrew,

I downloaded the plug-in but it is a simpletext document. What do I do with this?Is this vectorscript ?

M

This is a VectorScript plug-in. Copy the .vsm file to your plug-ins directory, then start VectorWorks and use the workspace editor to add the command to your workspace menu.

Is it possible to remove all lines except the outline? or will this just get us really close?

I've really been needing this. Merci beaucoup encore.

M

If you go to View, Render, Hidden Line Render, you will get only the lines of the faces of objects you can see. You don't get the lines of the objects for faces you cannot see.

quote:

Originally posted by Marc:
Is it possible to remove all lines except the outline? or will this just get us really close?

If you put it up to 90 degrees, the maximum allowed, it will come very close to just the outline. However, it only works to remove lines within an object, and joined walls (for example) don't count as a single object. Meshes do, groups don't. But it'll get you fairly close.