Inconsistent Behaviour when editing IFC model data

shorter

Question

Am modelling the post-demolition model.

It is great that we can model with ifc entities directly.

However, I have noticed a slight inconsistency in the way IFC data is retained (or represented), depending on how we model.

I have imported an IFC of the existing building to use as the reatined model with demolitions then...

Method 1

I have used the automatic plane detection to draw a rectangle on the face of an ifc entity (IfcWallStandardCase) then used push/pull combine mode to cut an opening.  I have then filled the opening with an extrusion that is noted as 'Demolished'.  Slightly long-winded but gets me where I want to be.

If I use automatic plane detection and cut the opening using alt-click, or push/pull combine mode, the object clipped, i.e. the wall, retains it's IFC data or at least is visible still in the Object Info Palette.

but

Method 2

If I model the opening separately (it may be more complicated than a simple extrusion) and then use 'subtract or section solids', retaining the subtracting solid, the ifc data is stripped from the clipped ifc entity, although still present when I edit the resulting solid subtraction.

Why?

Why does one method work and the other not?

What logic is at play here?

The resulting object is the same in both cases; a solid subtraction.

Or is it a visibility issue in the object info palette because when I modify the solid, the wall clipped has retained it's data in method 2.

Does this mean that I should be using the latter method and not draw on surface and subtract solid?  It is arguably more efficient but the apparent loss of data in the OIP is not ideal.

Also the results are very different when re-exporting the IFC.  Method 2 does not export the object via IFC despite both the wall, and the solid clipping the wall being IFC entities.

Strikes me that what we need also is an option when using the push/pull combine mode to retain the subtracting object.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet