Modeling Fiber Cables

CharlesD

Hello All-

I've stepped away from the world of ConnectCAD for a bit, and I've seem to have forgotten the best way to model fiber cables with multiple connections on it.

In the attached image-- would the two sides of my fiber cable be a different device? How would I model this appropriately?

Thanks!

Fiber Cable Model.drawio.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @CharlesD

Good to have you back !!! 😄

That looks like you need to make extensive use of Adapter object which we introduced in Vectorworks 2023. Adapters attach to a single socket on a device and convert it to one or more sockets that can have different signal / connector types. This gets rid of the need for "phantom" devices or cables. At the moment we don't support cascaded adapters because you can make you own adapter that actually does the same as the combination of multiple adapters - the graphics and labeling are up to you.

Hope that helps.

Conrad

Thanks @Conrad Preen! I was afraid this might be the case. The custom adapter, that comprises two logical adapters, certainly works for other use cases-- but I'm afraid it's pretty cumbersome for this workflow.

My last project includes a TAC-24 fiber... with various fiber TX/RX-- in all, we hit many CC adapter objects. We had some SC, some LC, some ST, some SFP, some SFP+, some FiDo SFP, etc.

Combining so many logically separate pieces of kit into one monolithic adapter can't be the best solution to this. Especially when, as a user, I want inventory control / equipment list of all of these pieces. I think we may have had this conversation last year-- but what is the counter argument for not allowing chained adapters?