Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

The new SetStaticTextColorN() generates TINTS, not COLORS.

Modern Dialog StaticText colors are OUT, tints are IN.

In VW 2023, SetStaticTextColorN() was introduced to replace SetStaticTextColor(), which failed in VW 2020 on the Mac (VB-160901), and StaticText now receives discrete  TINTS, and not the full range of colors that could be generated with the older SetStaticTextColor(). In exploring the available tints, I found some shortcomings. 

1) There is no BLUE (203). The index assigned to blue actually generates a color close to cyan.

2) PINK (208) is not a distinct color. It looks exactly like RED (200).

3) MAGENTA is missing from the list. Is this what PINK (208) was supposed to be?

The 3 primary colors (RGB) and the 3 secondary colors (CMY) should be represented. Currently we have (RG and CY).

Here is a screenshot of a test dialog. 

537561336_DialogColors.png.15a5659869ee54fd8732cc5ed3b5a46b.png

I reviewed the output on two monitors with very different color balances and the tints have the same appearance on both monitors. I have not tried this on a Windows machine.

I do like the Orange (204), Purple (207), and Gray (209) shades. Brown (206) and Yellow (205) are hard to see against the gray background of the dialog. The older command, SetStaticTextColor(), was much more flexible in that I could tweak the RGY color components to get a shade that had good hue and good contrast. The current tints leave a lot to be desired. If I could request additional shades, I would like darker versions of Red, Green (especially), and Blue. Is this even possible?

If anyone wants the code for this dialog, just ask. I'll be happy to send it to you.

Raymond

• Like 2