Layer groups like classes

dvdvarch

Question

Hello to everybody, I have been searching for this topic in the forum, and surprisingly there is not a lot about it (at least for my serach capabilities). 

Would be useful if layer naming would behave as class naming (the dash make a hierarchical organization).

Is there a reason why this is not possible? I have found many suggestions on how to achieve a similar result, tags, filters, but no one looks to me as simpe as just turning on an off a group of three or four layers linked together

(i.e.

1ST_FLOOR-

-SLABS

-WALLS

-HEATING

-FURNITURE

2ND_FLOOR-

-SLABS

-WALLS

-HEATING

-FURNITURE

...)

What I do now is to continiously click on the little eyes icons.

Am I missing something in best practices to organize layers and buildings? How do you manage them?

Thank you, I hope this is the right forum section to ask it

• Like 4

11 answers to this question

Thank you Tom, the post you link make me understand how much is difficult to make everybody happy. What is useful for me wouldn't for another.

Yes I have considered saved view, sometimes the system works, it is not as "dynamic" as I would like since If I add or delete a layer I have then to update the views too, and for some reason after a while saved views haven't evolved together with the rest of the project. Maybe it is a lack in my workflow.

I have found from the post that you have linked that this is an old story! I apologize for not having searched more in the forum. Well, so I add my point to the wishlist:

any kind of layer structuring would be welcome

Edited by dvdvarch
17 minutes ago, dvdvarch said:

Yes I have considered saved view, sometimes the system works, it is not as "dynamic" as I would like since If I add or delete a layer I have then to update the views too

I agree, it is a full time job updating Saved Views as the model evolves. The Redefine command is indispensable for this (right-click on the Saved View in the Navigation palette). I posted a wish recently asking whether it was essential to always have the 'Redefine Saved View' come up when you run the command because invariably I'm keeping the options as they are + so this is just an extra click I don't need.

The other way is via the Organisation dialog with 'Visibilities' selected: this is a good way to reset several Saved Views at once. But again is several clicks to get there + you can't do anything else whilst the dialog's open.

17 minutes ago, dvdvarch said:

any kind of layer structuring would be welcome

What I would really like is to be able to colour code sheet layers so that I can differentiate more easily between blank sheets, work in progress or otherwise not for issue sheets, and finished sheets. I guess I could add tags + use layer filters but I would prefer to see all the sheets at once + have them highlighted differently depending on status as I scroll through them.

37 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

to be able to colour code sheet layers

Yes, I was thinking exactly to the same idea yesterday

38 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

The other way is via the Organisation dialog with 'Visibilities'

mmh, I will try, it looks quite a click-rich path 🙂 

1 minute ago, dvdvarch said:

mmh, I will try, it looks quite a click-rich path 🙂 

The quickest way I have found is to detach the Saved Views tab of the Navigation palette + have it as an auto-collapsing/expanding standalone palette elsewhere on the screen (click on the little '+' to turn it into a '-'). Then the palette expands as soon as you move the cursor over it + all your saved views are there for activating with a double-click or redefining with a right-click + it needn't interfere with everything else you want to do in the Navigation palette.

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

The quickest way I have found is to detach the Saved Views tab of the Navigation palette

Ok, I will detach that too 🙂 in my three monitor cockpit I have on the left monitor: Resource browser and toolsets, center: the drawing alone, left (all detached): OIP, classes, layers, and now I will try to add views too

• Laugh 1
1 hour ago, dvdvarch said:

Ok, I will detach that too 🙂 in my three monitor cockpit I have on the left monitor: Resource browser and toolsets, center: the drawing alone, left (all detached): OIP, classes, layers, and now I will try to add views too

You need a fourth monitor so you can use some other apps apart from VW 🙂

Hello! I see now that exactly a year has passed since my last post on this topic, so I tought to post again, hoping that somebody with a good hearth overthere in Maryland will take care of this request: would be possible to group design layers? I have to invent such odd graphical tricks to organize them 😁

thank you!

image.png.a609b6babb4e8855803f3c4de4b6b63b.png