Plant Database

Greetings,

I'd like to modify the plants that I see in the database to exclude all the plants that do not grow in my area and others that I'd never use.  How do I go about this?  I do not want to modify the REAL database because I may need to use it in the future.

Should/can I make a copy of the database and modify that?  How does on do that?  And how to I link to my copy and not ruin the REAL database?

Thanks in advance,

Marshall

PC

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'd like to modify the plants that I see in the database to exclude all the plants that do not grow in my area and others that I'd never use.  How do I go about this?  I do not want to modify the REAL database because I may need to use it in the future.

Should/can I make a copy of the database and modify that?  How does one do that?  And how to I link to my copy and not ruin the REAL database?

Thanks in advance,

Marshall

Assuming you are talking about the FileMaker Pro database…

You can use some filters and sorts to get what you want without disturbing the built in database.

some ways to sort:

by planting zone

marking favorite for plants you use

adding a standard note in the comments field for plants you use

adding your company name to the “jobs” field

etc…

• 2 months later...

After having looked over the FMP plant database, I think that it is greatly in need of adapting to be useful for my area.  

I understand Jeff's suggestion to filter and conduct searches to get at what you need.

But, are there any drawbacks to just modifying the database?  Fixing spelling, correcting errors (plant range accuracy), etc.  If I went to the trouble AM I ACTUALLY DOING ANY GOOD, ie does the next SP update for version just overwrite the changes I've made?

Marshall

Just make a backup copy of your modified database on a regular basis and you should be good.  Also, store it in a location other than the default location and tell Vevtorworks where to  look for it.  This can be handy if you need to share it between multiple workstations and have a network.