Vision MP5.1 upgrade - Imac refurb - Mac Studio Max

Hi,

I'm reaching out cause in Belgium there are no vision users and I would love to talk about your real-world experiences.

I'm looking into upgrading my system for vw2022 and getting into visualizers. My options would be vision, capture or augmented.  My first option would be vision.

I'm still on a MP5.1 with vw2020 spotlight. So my first thought was upgrading with a recent AMD RX6600/6800 card and Monterey. Anyone any experience with such a system?

Second option would be a refurb 2020 Imac of a new Mac Studio Max. I suppose an upgraded MP5.1 wouldn't be a comparison to the Mac Studio. Perhaps not a wise choice because not knowing what future upgrades would bring for the MP but on the other hand, my MP still rocks and some of my software isn't yet compatibel with Monterey.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Ciao,

Peter

Hi Peter

From my experience performance comes down to how powerful the graphics card is. I have a Windows machine and an RTX3080 and it is good, but I still more power. It is really great for fixtures with one element but once you start adding X4 Bars, JDC-1's or anything with many pixels it really starts chewing up graphics card resources. For each X4 Bar 20 it is processing 20 light sources so you can see why it starts to get bogged down. I have a few work arounds such as forcing emissive on those fixtures, lowering haze quality, turning off shadows etc which greatly helps. What sort of shows are you visualising? I do mainly music so I need snappy response to ensure everything is in time and there is often a lot of parameters changing but for something like a theatre show you may not need so much grunt.

To get some perspective the show I am programming at the moment the GPU is running at 97% and CPU at 15% so it really relies on the GPU..

• 4 months later...

Hi D

A bit of late reply but thank you for the answer.

I have no experience with windows, thinking about it for a vizualizer, also looking into capture and the RTX3080 keeps popping up.

Any other specs for a windows machinen in relation to vision which are important, processor, motherboard, ... ?

Thanks, P