Stair handrails disappear

Possibly a bug with the stair PIO? If I choose to specify the starting layer and the ending layer for the stairs to connect so I can take advantage of the upper section and lower section displays, my handrails disappear!

I tried setting up a simple model in a new file to eliminate any other corrupting influences, and the problem seems to arise when I chose to show stair break. I can't quite make sense of it, as some times playing with front v. back ordering seems to have an effect, even though the upper and lower stair sections go into two layers. Seems like I can't get any handrail to display on the upper section as long as I've got the stair connected to layers, regardless of stair break. Am I doing something wrong???

Another suggestion for future improvements to the stair tool....in addition to getting back to an angle stair break as discussed in another post, it would be nice to have the option in the PIO dialog box to display the part above or below the cut in dashed line without having to create that as a separate entity.