custom feelds for devices

CISO

Hi hivemind,

I am in search of a way to add custom data fields to my devices in connectCAD. This fields should contain the e.g. IP address or other stuff. I like to display it in the schematic drawing but also export it together with the other data to create stickers.

Has anyone achieved that?

Cheers
Francisco

Edited by CISO
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @CISO,

In VW2022 we have created 2 new default records - "Device Network Info Record" and "Inventory Record" which are automatically attached to all devices. You can use them to add additional data to your devices. You can display this data in worksheets in the regular way records are displayed in worksheets. You can display this data in the drawing by using the linked text functionality available inside of device's layout group (Select a text and check the controls in the bottom of its OIP).

The same could be achieved with any custom record that you create and attach to your devices.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thank you Nikolay, 

I didn't installed VW22 jet, but I will now.

There are user fields in the def_rec. I can't find a way to edit them.

The workaround is to create a new database. Connect it to the devices by hand. Type in my additional data in the data tap. The devices table can have additional columns for that purpose. This workes for me. 

This data is not displayed when I add a new text field to the dev_label symbol I use for the schematic drawing.
But I don't understand why.

Best
Francisco

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
26 minutes ago, CISO said:

Thank you Nikolay, 

I didn't installed VW22 jet, but I will now.

There are user fields in the def_rec. I can't find a way to edit them.

The workaround is to create a new database. Connect it to the devices by hand. Type in my additional data in the data tap. The devices table can have additional columns for that purpose. This workes for me. 

This data is not displayed when I add a new text field to the dev_label symbol I use for the schematic drawing.
But I don't understand why.

Best
Francisco

- Here you can read how the user fields work -