tool palettes is not showing up!

Patrik

My tool pallettes is not always showing up when I start up VW (9.5.3b2 on mac OS 10.2.4) I have to pick them one by one from the palletes menu. I?ve also tried to open the palettes by select another workspace from the archive menu but no palettes. Anyone knows what this is about , any solution of the problem?

Another strange thing, that has nothing to do with the palette problem, appers when I work in several drawings at the same time and jump between them by putting the drawings that I don?t work in the dock (OS X). Sometimes when I jump to another drawing I?ve noticed that vw does?nt always work in the document that appears on top of all drawings on the screen. (an OS X problem I thing but so far I?ve just seen it in vw)

The old way of doing it , jumping between open drawings by select them in the window menu is still working.

The problem wtih the palettes is one of two things --

Either the workspace files themselves are set to Read only, OR the preference file is out of whack.

The first thing to try is to reset the preferences.

To do this, in VW, go to File>Preferences>VW Preferences.

Under the Edit tab, in the lower left hand corner is a button that says "Reset".

Click on this button.

This will reset all VW preferences, including the pref. file written by VW.

After you reset, place the palettes on the screen as you wish. Close VW by going to VectorWorks>Quit VectorWorks

Relaunch VW.

Are all the palettes there?

If they are .. problem solved.

If they are not - we may need to manually reset the preference.

To do this, close VW.

Go to the HardDrive.

Users folder

Double click on your home user's folder

Then double click on Library.

Then double click on Preferences

You should see a file called VW Prefs or something like that.

Delete this file and empty the trash can.

Now launch VW -

Enter in the inforamtion, set the palettes where you want them. NOw close VW and start it back up again.

Are the palettes there?

If they still arne't there .. the workspace could be read only or corrupt.

Go to the VW folder.

Open the Workspaces folder.

You should see Standard and possibly Architect and some other workspaces depending on what program you have.

Check to see if these files are set to read only.

If they are read only, you will need to change it to Read/Write to get them to display correctly.

AS for the final problem you are having --

Are you minimizing the files to the dock when switching between files, or are you using the windows menu to select a different file to work on?

Thanks Katie.

There is no reset buttom in the vw preferences panel under the edit tab in our version of vw. ( Norwegian vw 9.5.3b2)

But i think i have solved the problem by doing it manually as you described it. It also became clear to me that the Arcitect worksapce file was corrupt. I copied the file from another machine and replaced mine. Now it works again but I guess i have to try it for a while before I can say that the problem i pemanently solved.

When it comes to my second issue I?ve tried both way of switching between files but when minimizing to dock I get the "working in the hidden window" problem Switching by usingthe window drag down menu is still working so I guess I have to use that one and not enjoy all the OS X features.

Patrik

Vw 9.5.3 does not have the reset button. This is a new feature in Vw 10.

As for the window drop down issue -- when you updated the OS to version 10.2.4, did you do the combo update, or just the reg. update from 10.2.3 to 10.2.4?

If you did the later, you might want to try downloading and re-updating using the combo updater.

I've seen alot of strange behaviors with the OS end up being fixed when re-updating using the combo updater.

One of these behaviors is the shift-select and the issue with the date always reverting to dec 31, 1969.

The combo updater is for those updating to OS 10.2.4 from OS 10.2.2 and earlier.

However, there are a number of things that are not updated, or not updated correctly when using the updater from OS 10.2.3 to 10.2.4.

It is recommended to run the combo updater even after updating to OS 10.2.4 if it had not been done.