Curved Roofs

As a beginner with Vectorworks Architect 9.5.1 and trying to get to grips with the software without the expense of training (I have to use AutoCAD LT in the office!) I am having difficulties trying to create a curved roof. Is there an easy way to achieve such a thing in Architect. If not, how does one rotate an extruded 3D form and place it in the right place/class/layer/sheet without getting confused!

Any advice?

Regards,John KellettChartered Architect (UK)

Well VectorWorks doesn't have any built in facility for curved roofs in general. But it has a number of other 3D commands that can assist in the process.

Tools you probably want to look at. Sweep, this will generate a 3D object from revolving a 2D object around itself or a locus point.

Extrude along path, This will allow you to take a 2D object such as a rectangular profile and extrude it down an arc or other curved path. (You can even use 3D nurbs based paths if you like. These can result in very interesting shapes)

Also, all of the 2D tools for manipulating objects (mirroring, rotating etc...) will work with 3D objects as well. Just remember that they do it based on your current viewing angle. Many users find it simpler to position objects by switching from top to a side view and using the 2D controls, than it is to use the full fledged 3D tools which they may be less familiar with.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Thanks Matthew,

I've managed to crack the extrusion of an arc to create the curved roof but still getting confused as the roof appears at different heights on different drawings.

Also the 'left' view is showing the 'back' and the 'right' and 'front' are showing the front elevation! I assume it's the working planes that are the cause. Is there a way of returning to the Architect 'defaults' on all 'sheets' so that heights and elevations correspond correctly?

Regards,John KellettChartered Architect (UK)