Raging Roofs

Ok. So I know I'm a rookie at this, but the roof creation tools are enough to make a man drink. I'm drawing the gable end elevation of a remodel and am attempting to add a shed addition projecting out from the existing wall. The 3 walls are no problem. Can even make them pitch to meet the existing wall. I cannot, however, seem to get a roof on it.

I've tried using the "create roof from walls." this gives an interesting little hipped roof running atop the actual wall area (but not reaching to the existing wall). Cute but not a shed roof.

So I've tried creating a polygon both from an extruded rectangle and also by using the extruded polygon tool. In both cases when I attempt to use the "create roof from polygon" tool, I get a message to the effect that I must first select a polygon even though the object is clearly selected. I've tried it in orthogonal plan view and in front elevation view. Nothing seems to work. So what is the magic incantation that impells the roof tool to do its stuff?

(Could have built the addition in the amount of time I've spent trying to draw it. Mutter, grumble, huff, etc. Course I know powerful tools take effort, but I'm not yet getting much return from this one.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by BisbeeBlue:
Ok. So I know I'm a rookie at this, but the roof creation tools are enough to make a man drink. I'm drawing the gable end elevation of a remodel and am attempting to add a shed addition projecting out from the existing wall. The 3 walls are no problem. Can even make them pitch to meet the existing wall. I cannot, however, seem to get a roof on it.

For a simple roof like this, you might simply want to create a 2-D polygon covering the area of your roof, and then use the roof face tool to create the roof. Draw your roof slope line over the outermost wall, and give it the bearing height that is the height of your wall.

If you use the roof from walls tool, you'll need to select the 3 sides of the wall that you don't want to slope down to, and mark them as gable ends.