Scale

I am hesitant to even post this.....

I am struggling with scale. I just can't visualize what is happening.

I created an Arch b drawing in setup. I dimension the print edge on screen at approx. 12x18. In the upper left printpage of the drawing I centered a scaled 4-inch circle. I dimension it just to make sure it's 4-inches. It is. So far I'm OK. Scale used is 1"=1'.

I then go to the design tab and change the drawing scale to 2"=1'. The ball doubles in size. Ok, I can visualize that, too. But, when I then dimension the much decreased in size drawing, it measures 6x9. I check the dimension of the circle; still 4-inches. Why doesn't the drawing still measure =/- 12x18, too? If the ball is still 4-inches (but visually bigger) why isn't the print edge still 11x18 but just smaller??????

The print edge is still 11x18. To add to your experiment. Create a new layer at 1:1, switch your old layer back and forth between whatever scales you want but when you measure the 11x18 page, do it on the newly created layer that is at 1:1. The page will always be 11x18 (inches), but if you measure on the scaled layer the size will appear to change but is really just relative to the scale you have chosen. On the layer you set at 1"=1', you measured 18'.On the layer you set at 1"=2', you measure 9'. The 1:1 layer should measure 1'6" or 18". More confused yet? 1:1 = inch:inch, 1"=1' = inch:foot

Hope that helps a little.