Losing significant changes

Hi -

I'm on VW 12.0.1 on OSX, 10.3.9.

Having worked since about 11:00 on an older file, having saved it as v12, I've lost a LOT of changes-

My original document is a deck on my home, and I'm taking all individual elements (e.g. footings, stairs), moving them to a single layer, and assigning them to classes.

I left the old layers in place "just in case" -

But after opening the file again, I found many elements reverted back to the layers they had been on, and have reverted back to their visibility settings as well.

[edit] Also, why is it that certain things on a layer disappear unless the layer is active?

Any thoughts?

thx

Andrew

[ 03-14-2006, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Turner ]

Andrew,

Sorry if the questions seem obvious. Please give a step by step of how you are making these changes.

1. Lost changes

Are you changing the layer/class assignment by using the Object Info Palette? Saving the changes before closing?

2. Disappearing objects

Check: View/Layer & Class Options/Show Others is selected. Check: Visiblility Settings in the Organization Panel. If a Layer/Class is set to hidden, it will not appear on screen unless it is the Active Layer/Class.

George

Hi George... fancy seeing you here!

1) Yes, I am changing layer/class assignment by OIP. I am saving the changes pretty frequently... old habit [Wink]

2) I think the layer/class was hidden - I'll have to check - but even so, shouldn't something designated as "hidden" remain so even if the layer on which it resides is active?

thx

Andrew

Andrew,

1. Afraid I don't have an answer for the changes not "sticking".

2. A "hidden" class will be invisible unless it is the Active Class. The active status overrides it being set to hidden. This can cause some confusion when you change to a different class and some elements of the drawing disappear.

George