BIG BORDER BUG again

Yes, this topic is in ALL-CAPS [Mad] . I posted a topic in November 2005 about a bug in the VW12 door and windows plug-in. It has not been fixed and there seems to be no schedule to fix it.

Am I missing something? or am I the only architect who considers ? uh, doors and windows? to be fundamental elements of CAD software? There is a bug in the way in which doors and windows render in VW 12. They have a big border which appears as a line beyond the trim line in Open GL or translates the wall textures (exterior to interior 90?) in RenderWorks making VW12 essentially useless. The fix is to convert the windows and door plug-in's to symbols, but then one loses the ability to "change" the parameters

YES, I am being a squeaky wheel because this is an admitted bug which has not been fixed and there appears to be no schedule to fix it. I purchased VW12 in November 2005, but it is collecting dust on my hard drive awaiting a fix to what I consider to be a fundamental problem.

We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix for the problem. It is likely this will be addressed in the next maintenance update.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has served.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just downloaded VW 12.0.1 update in hopes that the Big Border Bug in the window plug-in had been fixed, but it appears not. I am still getting artifacts around windows and wall textures around windows shift slightly so that the coursing of siding materials shifts, for example, in this border area. Also, if the window trim width is different for interior vs. exterior, the texture of the larger trim shows up on the reverse side of the wall. So one might see exterior shingles on the interior of a wall if the exterior trim width is greater than the interior trim width. Converting the plug-in to a symbol does not fix the problem.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Compusam, can you submit a document that shows this bug? There were a number of bugs fixed with the door and window surrounds (most of these were regarding geometry, not texturing.) Are all your bugs regarding texture alignment, or are any of them geometric? Do any of them show up in hidden line rendering, for example?

I have submitted a file to bugSubmit which illustrates the problem (Window Bug.mcd) which is a single wall with a single window rendered in Final Quality RenderWorks. As far as I can tell so far, the problem does not show up in Hidden Line, but I will keep you posted on this if I see it somewhere else.

The text of the description which acompanies the file is as follows:

"On my computer, this image is viewed in Final Quality RenderWorks mode and the width of trim on the opposite side of the wall is rendered as a border on all 4 sides of the window. I have exagerated the trim width on one side of the window to make this more obvious.

When viewed in Hidden Line mode, you will notice that there is no sill trim (which is correct), but FinalQuality RenderWorks has the border at the sill.

If you select the window and "flip" it in the info pallette, you will notice that the window will lose the big border on the wrong side of the wall, but the texture renders in the wrong orientation in some instances or it is shifted noticeably so that the coursing of the shingles around the window do not line up with the rest of the wall. You might have to zoom in around the window to see the texture shift."

Compusam, I took a look at your file. I opened it in my copy of 12.0.1, saw your bug (wide gray band around the window that should be shingled), reset the wall (which also resets the window), and the problem disappeared, i.e. the band around the window retextured with horizontal shingles to match the wall.

So I think what is happening here is something questionable about your installation.

Are you on Mac or PC? If you select your VectorWorks application after updating, what build number does it have? (This can be obtained by running a "Get Info" (mac) or "Properties" (win) on the application file. This 5-digit number also shows up in the "About VectorWorks" command.

To test your theory that there is "something questionable" about my installation, I have loaded VectorWorks 12 on my laptop (Mac G4 800 Mhz) and updated to VectorWorks 12.0.1. The same problem appears, although the build number has changed to (53931). My laptop is running OS 10.3.9. So, with 2 different computers running different operating systems, I get the border around windows with RenderWorks. I do not think my installation is the problem.

The trim does not have a texture so it appears as a wide white border the same width as the trim on the opposite side of the wall. If I give the trim a texture, the wide white border disappears, but misaligned texture appears on the wall the same width as the trim on the opposite side of the wall. The texture below the sill is totated 90?.

It does not matter when the wall is textured? and should not matter. THIS IS A BUG. The Window PIO is flawed (in RenderWorks) and possibly the door PIO as well. I am not investing any more of my time in trying to diagnose an acknowleged bug. The bug is there. I cannot solve the problem. That is YOUR problem, not mine (I have posted about 30 messages to this forum as well as BugSubmit).

Fix it.

I have reviewed this issue in more detail, and have discovered the following. The surround does NOT appear in Hidden Line rendering, but DOES appear when you use "Convert to Lines" with the HL render option. This has been entered as a bug. In the meantime, try using elevation viewports (which evidently handle HL somewhat better) than the old-fashioned workflow of "converting to lines".