Linking files...is it possible!

Hey...does anyone know how or if it's possible to link files together? I have a few sub files and I would like to have a master file where if changes are made to the sub files the changes will also be made in the master file.

Thanks,

Toggle

Toggle,

Check out the Workgroup Referencing feature (under the Organize menu). It does exactly what you are asking. Remember to follow some basic guidelines regarding referencing:

1.) References appear in the target file in a locked state. Don't unlock them and move them as they will move back when updated (they are tied to the origin).

2.) Referenced layers appear in the layer list in italics. Don't draw any new objects on these layers in the target file, as they will be nuked when you update the reference. If you want to draw new objects, do so on non-referenced layer(s).

3.) Moving with the origin in either the source or target file can cause some nasty suprises as well. Try to avoid this.

This info is covered in excellent detail in the Learning Series training CDs sold by Nemetschek.

Hey Nam,

Kind of confused what to do. I'm I suppose to open a new drawing before I do this or open one of the sub file and does this file become the master file? After doing this, if the files that are being reference can not be opened or used...then how can I added things to the sub file?

Thanks,