Recomended PC hardware for VW, please HELP ME!

I currently own an AMD Athlon XP 2200 and an MSI k7turbo2 motherboard with 512 MB of RAM, the memory is PC133 [Frown] and Geforce 4MX with 64 MB of RAM, I thought this would be enough for VW but its so SLOW at most of the functions of this program.

Rendering takes the longest time, everything else just feels too slow, now I was thinking of just buying a new motherboard that had DDR capability and 512 MB of DDR moving the same CPU and all the stuff.

WOuld this help ? Please help me, this is VW 10 Im using by the way.

Sure it would help, but I think that chip only does 266MHz front side bus (PC 2100 memory?) and a small L2 cache compared to the latest chips. I would (and just did) upgrade to a socket 939 motherboard and an Athlon 64 chip. My new setup has an Asus A8V Deluxe MB and Athlon 64 3500+ chip, not to pricey and very fast. BTW newegg.com is the best place to buy.

[ 03-12-2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Ray Libby ]

Yeah I know, but all I can afford as of now is that, moving into a new motherboard with DDR, I just would like to know if it worth it AT ALL ?

Or is it a waste of time/money ? Its either that or this crappy slow system [Frown] Im sorry but its making me go NUTS.

If you are going to upgrade, going to an athlon 64 system is a really good choice. I use an opteron 250 with 2gb memory with a realizm 100 video card which does real well with rendering,vectorworks flies pretty well. The good thing about the athlon 64 or opteron systems is that when dual core processors are out you will be able to upgrade to those with just a bios update.The opteron is better because is uses registered ecc memory that costs more but you can use more of it, I can get 16GB on my motherboard.Regular memory can start to have problems once you start to use more than 1gb, more errors that lead to stability problems.Vectorworks has enough stability problems on its own.The advantage with this type of system is huge compared to what you are using, redraw speed is much much better even compared to a regular p4 system.Spend the money.