Exporting from v11 to v9

The educational versions will only let you export to VW 10. The professional version will allow you to export to MC 7. This is the only difference, for the excpetion of watermarks, between the edu and pro versions of the software.

Thanks Katie. I appreciate your help (as I am sure others do!).

But...Where, anywhere, was it noted that now in the edu version 11 you could only export to version 10? These little, "Oh we've changed *this*.", is getting REAL tiresome. *Why* exactly was this change made? I think I know why!

Also, I am not too sure about the watermark. Where is it supposed to show up? I've printed a bunch of drawings now and have yet to see anything even close to resembling a watermark.

This all seems very random!

Still trying to figure out how to export and considering going back to acad! [Confused]

Alanmac,

My gripe is not neccessarily that they want to make a buck...that's there job. My gripe is that there are alot of things just sprung on the end user without much (or any) warning nor explanation. I have taught with Vectorworks since v8 (in the class room and for departmental/student production work), and every version til now was able to export back.

With more people using the software now (that's good!)there will be a more diverse user base as regards to what versions are being used. I think that the ability to export to different older versions is fundamental to using the program. To differentiate between edu and pro...I would have choosen some higher end functinality help make that designation.

As to what is educational use and what is not, I use the software in a CAD class every semester and I also use it for our Theatre Dept productions as well. For those not involved in educational theatre, work onstage, in the shop and at the computer is just as much an educational experience for the students as the classroom. I bet that I have had 5-10 students in the past couple of years buy VW because of seeing what it could do and then they wanting to learn for themselves.

thanks,

td4stage

Sorry don't see it myself. Of course with any upgrade changes will be made to the program, most will be welcome, some not, and if you didn't get changes it wouldn't be an upgrade.

So I think every user expects and allows time to learn what each major release has to offer when upgrading. This could involve changes in the way we work brought about by research and suggestions from end users.

I'm sure you will find somebody prepared to teach Vectorworks at version 8.5 etc. but any trainer worth their fee would train you with the latest version, to take full advantage of whats available. After all that's usually the only license available to purchase from NNA.

Joining a firm still using much older software, such as 8 etc. may involve training somebody with that version but not in any forward thinking company I know.

Any training establishment and teachers are duty bound to keep up with changes to the program chosen to teach students with, sending them out with up to date knowledge and experience of using it.

As stated exporting to lower versions than 10 is available with the professional version so it does not matter if a co worker has decided to stay on version 8 or 9. your professional version allows for this.

I fail to see in educational terms where you would want to export to a lower version and with the price being so low for the educational licenses there is little excuse not to keep up with current versions in an educational environment.

Maybe NNA has discovered a widespread abuse of the eductional license status and system deciding to curb this wherever possible.

From my personal experience I found that when exporting from 10.5 to 8.5 that certain elements created in 10.5 simply did not appear in 8.5 which also makes a good reason not to export down any further than need be. Importing is a different matter, but I believe in what opinion has been voiced before in this forum, to save grief always finish a project in what you started it in, never change or upgrade part way through it.

[ 01-10-2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]