Best way to Import files from AutoCad 2004

I know this question has been probably asked 100's of times. I am wonder what is the best way to import drawing from AutoCad 2004. Do you have the sender convert the file to DWG or DXF?

Once a vectorworks 11 user is ready to import, you begin by creating a blank doc. or can you use a template? Do I need to worry about setting the correct scale?

What the best way

You should always use a blank document as suggested in the User's Guide. The distinctions between dxf and dwg are also noted in the User's GUide.

The scale is a mute issue. Whatever layer scale you select (which is what the scale option in the import dialog box is setting), the drawing will be scaled to that setting. AC drawings do not have scales in model layers -it's all 1:1. Viewports have scales and their scales are noted in the viewport scale setting for each viewport on each sheet layer.

You may want to review the import section of the User's Guide for more detailed information about the various settings and recommendations for importing.