64 bit ?

Hi everyone

Does anyone know (apart from Katie who seems to know everything [smile] ) if Vectorworks runs more quickly on a 64 bit machine as opposed to the usual 32 bit. It seems obvious that a 64 bit machine would be quicker but if VW is only 32 bit code is there any speed advantage? Secondly does VW take advatage of dual processors on the PC platform. I've been told that the program has to be written to take advantage of this facility? Thirdly, I notice there are a lot of people out there using 1 Gig of RAM on the PC platform. If you open the Task Manager and watch how Windows is using the RAM during a VW session you will notice that it never uses more than 256 megs. In fact with even with a bunch of apps running it rarely uses more than 256 megs. So, why have a Gig of RAM. Am I missing something here?

Mike

Thanks Katie (I knew you couldn't resist :-) )

How about the other questions, any ideas? The reason I ask is that I'm upgrading my PC and have the choice of the "old" 32bit Intel Pentium 4 or the 64 bit AMD Athlon. If there is no speed advantage I'll probably stay with the Intel chip which is a little cheaper and more "Industry Standard". However if there is a speed advantage I'll go with the AMD chip. So there is some kind of real world application to these questions.

Mike

Sorry, I tried to resist! [smile]

It depends on other programs you are running and whether or not they take advantage of 64 bit to determine the speed advantage.

I don't think you'll see much speed difference. What Processor speeds are you looking at?

Keep in mind that if the 64 bit is out, it's not long after that software programs will have 64 bit compatible programs available. If you aren't planning on buying a computer for another 4+ years and you are looking to save a few bucks, the cheaper may be better for your needs. Of course, you are the only person that can make that decision.

However, if you want to get the biggest bang for your buck, and you are investing for long term, the 64 bit may be better.

Thanks Katie

Mr Nemetschek, give that girl a raise! Her diligence is only exceeded by her good looks. (actually I think there is some sort of support group you can go to for this "C.O.A.A"--Compulsive Over Answerers Anonymous) :-)

So reading between the lines, Vectorworks itself won't take advatage of a 64 bit processor (yet) but there may be an overall speed advantage because of decreases in processor time for other open applications..Yes?

Vectorworks itself doesn't take advantage of dual processors but Renderworks does. In reality Renderworks is where you need the power anyway.

Finally, I take your point about the future being 64bit so I'll buy a machine to take advatage of that. I understand the latest release of Windows XP ultilises 64bit technology and by all accounts delivers a real increase in speed. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help

Mike