Working Plane Origin

Hello,

Still learning to work in 3d here. I've set up a number of working planes in my project, and I am very confused by something: What appears to be the origin (i.e. the pink dot in the middle of the grid) of each working plane is NOT the origin (i.e. i=0, j=0, k=0), but rather i=83'9", j=48', k=0. The same is true of the ground plane. The origin is locating way in the lower left of the grid. I messed around with working planes in a new drawing, and didn't have this problem. Did I accidentally make some change in my project drawing that shifted the origins of my working planes?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Dave

The pink grid and ground plane will stay put where the original grid is. If you move the origin point, the grids don't move with it. You can move the pink grid, but you can't move the gray (ground) plane.

You can do 1 of 2 things

- Move the origin back to the pink center dot

- Create a new working plane and center it around where the origin is.

OK, after some experimentation I see where I misunderstood. I thought that when I set the working plane, using three-point mode, that the first click would establish the origin of the working plane. This is what Tom Baer's Visual Quickstart Guide - for the most part a useful book - wrongly says.

In truth, this first click establishes the center of the grid, and the origin of the working plane - in relation to the center of its grid - is based on the origin of the ground plane in relation to its grid.

Thanks for your help.

Dave