VW 10.5.1+Mac OS 9=inaccurate snapping

I have just moved two users over to VW10. We want to test the water a little before upgrading the whole firm.

So far, any new feature or advances have been completelly overshadowed by significantly less reliable snapping (as compared to VW 9.5.3)

Both users are working on different projects, and have different Macs. Both are running OS 9.2.2

(The cost of upgrading to X, inclusing all software is too prohobitive, especially since OS 9 works pretty much flawlessly for us)

The complaint from both of them is that the cursor does not reliably snap to the corners. It'll show the cross, but when they click, the cursor will change to the white arrow and will be slightly off the corner. This is extremely frustrating for them.

Snap to grid is disabled, we have been playing with the snap radius, but nothing so far has made much difference.

I myself am using VW 10 as well, but on OS X 10.3.3, and my problems are less severe, though especially when inside groups, it's not great.

Are we doing something wrong or is VW 10 flawed in this regard, especially under OS 9?

hardware used:

Dual G4 867/512Mb OS 9.2.2

G4 733/512Mb OS 9.2.2

G4 733/896Mb OS X 10.3.3

Kees de Wit

Drost + van Veen Architects BV

(the Netherlands)

Do you have snap to objects or any of the other snaps enabled?

In VW preferences, do you have Show smart cursor checked? If that's not checked, you should check it to get visual snap cues on the screen letting you know if you've snapped to a point or an object, corner, center, etc.

we have snap to objects, snap to intersection, constrain angle and smart points enabled.

smart cursor cues is enabled, and I removed the "y" toggle from the workspace to avoid accidental deactivation.

snap to loci and floating datum are disabled.

My problem with snappping when inside groups in OS X seems to be seperate from the OS 9 problem.

I created a little vectorscript to toggle the show other objects in groups preference, toggleing it seems to resolve my snapping problems.

My OS 9 users are getting more frustrated by the day though, and I hope we can find a solution before I have to downgrade them.

Kees

[ 03-31-2004, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Kees W ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kees W:

I have just moved two users over to VW10. We want to test the water a little before upgrading the whole firm.

So far, any new feature or advances have been completelly overshadowed by significantly less reliable snapping (as compared to VW 9.5.3)

Both users are working on different projects, and have different Macs. Both are running OS 9.2.2

(The cost of upgrading to X, inclusing all software is too prohobitive, especially since OS 9 works pretty much flawlessly for us)

The complaint from both of them is that the cursor does not reliably snap to the corners. It'll show the cross, but when they click, the cursor will change to the white arrow and will be slightly off the corner. This is extremely frustrating for them.

Snap to grid is disabled, we have been playing with the snap radius, but nothing so far has made much difference.

I myself am using VW 10 as well, but on OS X 10.3.3, and my problems are less severe, though especially when inside groups, it's not great.

Are we doing something wrong or is VW 10 flawed in this regard, especially under OS 9?

hardware used:

Dual G4 867/512Mb OS 9.2.2

G4 733/512Mb OS 9.2.2

G4 733/896Mb OS X 10.3.3

Kees de Wit

Drost + van Veen Architects BV

(the Netherlands)

Are the OS 9 monitors set to a different resolution than those attached to an OS 10 machine?

Have you verfied the OS 9 computers are set to the same constraints that the OS 10 computers are using?

I don't notice anything different between OS 9 and OS 10.

[ 04-01-2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]