Lost carriage returns in Text Blocks

I seem to have lost my ability to place carriage returns in a text block and I don?t seem to be able to find a switch for control of the keyboard ENTER function. I hope that you can help.

Recently, I had my motherboard replaced which forced a ?clean install? of the OS, applications and documents. Since the reinstall, when I am typing a text block or noted list and press ENTER to start a new line or paragraph, the program ?sets? the text block instead of placing a carriage return for a new line.

Previously, when pressing ENTER, the new line was placed and to ?set" the text block, I had to use FUNC-ENTER or click out of the block. Reading this forum, I see this is how it should be working...

System Info:

Vectorworks 10.5.0

Computer: Compaq Presario 1500 notebook (2.0 Ghz P4)

RAM: 512 MB

Changes: Clean Install

Hope you can be of assistance, this is really ?bugging? me.

[ 03-18-2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Have you run any OS updates, motherboard updates, video driver updates, etc?

If you haven't, try that .. laptops usually have a universal driver for the video and keyboard or at least it's all in the same place which makes it easier to update everything.

Also, I removed your reg # (serial number). You should never make this number public. That's how piracy occurs. It's safe to include it in emails to anyone within Nemetschek, but not on the message board - for your own protection, and ours.

If there's a setting you need to change, it's in your notebook, not in VectorWorks. Maybe it's a matter of switching off the numeric keypad.

On a standard keyboard, the typewriter Carriage-Return key always inserts a hard line-break, and the other Enter key, the one on the numeric keypad, exits from the text object.

Soft line-breaks (as you probably know, but maybe someone else reading doesn't know it) happen whenever you drag the text object to a finite width. The text word-wraps to that width.

Katie,

oops... sorry 'bout that reg #, I copied the email I was sending to NNA. It was late and brain cells were checking out by the thousands...

All OS and driver updates are installed (I keep B/U copies on external HD just for such events). Now that you provoked the brain cells left, I see the installed BIOS is 2 versions old.

JAN, I thought you may be on to something with the number lock (or INSERT lock) but, alas, it made no difference. When I hit the ENTER, it closes the text block, I have tried Fn-ENTER, Alt-ENTER, Ctrl-ENTER, Shift-ENTER and it does the same thing.

I'VE LOST...

my...

carriage returns, &%%#!