Dimension text

I'm using Vectorworks 10.1 with a PC, and have recently had a problem with dims.

When I take a dimension, the text doesn't show. All the obvious things seem to be ok ie. I've checked the object info box and it says that the dim is visible (it also shows me the length of the measurement); I've checked the class and I've checked the settings box (under page menu). Nothing unusual. I've reinstalled the programme, tried to override the problem with a different workspace template - all to no effect. It doesn't seem to be file related as this problem doesn't occur when the file is opened on another machine.

Instead it appears to be a setting embedded in my machine and I can't find the root of it. Any ideas?

Have you checked the dimension object's Font & Size? (Use the Text pull-down menu while that object only is selected.)

Most dimension settings are under File> Preferences> DocumentPreferences> Dimensions> Custom> Edit, but I don't think there's anything there that would do what you're describing.